Tomato – 2
Beans – 10 no.
Carrot, potato, brinjal – 1 no. in each
Bottle gourd – few pieces ( you can choose any vegetables )
Green chilli – 1
Dry chilli – 2
Onion – 1/4 cup
Garlic – 2 no.
Jaggery – small cube
Tamarind – small pulp
Mustard seed – 3/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
( Instead of these spices you can use 3 tsp of ready made sambar powder like MTR, Shakthi, etc..,)
Chilli pdr & coriander pdr – 1 tsp each
Cumin & fennel seed pdr – 1/2 tsp each
Asafoetida & turmeric pdr – pinch
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
1. Cook toor dal till it becomes mushy, set aside.
2. Make tomato puree from a tomato to get nice colour for sambar.
3. Heat a kadai with 2 tsp of oil , crackle mustard seed and urad dal. Then saute curry leaves, green chilli, garlic, onion, dry chilli till you get light colour change.
4. Now add all vegetables with sauteed ingredients. Add tomato puree, spices, salt, jaggery, tamarind water and required water.
5. Add these mixture with cooked toor dal and let it cook for 2 pressure sounds.
6. Garnish sambar with corinader leaves, Now you have learnt this basic sambar recipe.