Broken Wheat Ven Pongal
Usually we make Ven pongal with raw rice and ghee. But this recipe is broken samba wheat ven pongal, which is a healthy, mouth watering breakfast for everyone specifically diabetes. Now let us learn to make this spicy wheat rava pongal.
Broken wheat rawa( samba ravai )- 1/2 cup
Moong dal / pasi paruppu – 1/4 cup
Green chilli – 1
Ginger – 1 tsp chopped
Ghee – 1 tsp
oil- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Gram dal / kadalai paruppu – 1/2 tsp
Cashews – 10 no.
1. Soak moong dal in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a kadai with 1/2 tsp of ghee, add ginger and green chilli. stir for 30 sec., then add broken wheat and fry for a minute till the raw smell goes off. Add soaked moong dal, 2 cups of water ( wheat, water ratio is 1:4) and salt. Let it cook for 2 pressure sounds. For pot cooking you need approximately 10 minutes on high flame.
3. In a kadai, heat 1/2 tsp of ghee and 1 tsp of oil. Fry cashews, gram dal, pepper, cumin seeds till brown ( on low flame )
4. Now pour the tempered seasonings into the cooked broken wheat ven pongal.
5. Serve this pongal with coconut chutney.
- 1/2 cup Broken wheat rawa
- 1. video recipe
Written by: Kannathal chinniah