Kara boondi recipe in Tamil / spicy boondhi mixture
Learn how to make kara boondi, a spicy deep fried gram flour snack. Tamil video of this South Indian style boondi mixture is embedded below.
Tamil Video Recipe
Gram flour / besan flour / kadalai maavu – 150 g
Chili pdr – 3/4 tsp
Hing / Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pdr – pinch
Raw Peanuts – 3 tbsp
Curry leaves, salt
Oil to deep fry
1. In a mixing bowl, add besan flour, chili pdr, asafoetida, turmeric pdr with required salt. Add water little by little till you get dosa batter consistency. Check the consistency by pouring this batter over a ladle which holds small round shaped holes. If it drops well from the ladle, the consistency is perfect.
2. Heat frying oil in a pan,Once the oil gets hot, pour the batter over the perforated ladle, keep the ladle near the hot oil, and gently tab the poured batter to make boondis fall into the oil ( just move the ladle in a circular motion while you tap the batter as to avoid forming boondhi lumps )
3. Fry them till you get golden coloured and crispy boondis. Repeat the same procedure for remaining batter.
4. Now fry peanuts and curry leaves and mix them with fried boondhis.
5. Evening snack spicy kara boondi is ready to serve.
Written by: Kannathal chinniah