Onion podi uthappam in Tamil – Vengaya uthappam seimurai
( Seivathu eppadi endra Tamil video ingu inaikkapattullathu )
Dosa batter – 2 cups ( to make 5 to 7 uthappam )
Finely chopped onion – 2
Coriander leaves chopped – 1/2 cup
Idly podi / gun powder – to taste ( I used 3/4 tsp for a uthappam )
1. Mix onion and coriander leaves, set aside.
2. Heat the tawa, add 1/5 tsp of oil and spread this oil on tawa by wiping it with a clean cloth ( By this method we can take out the dosa from tawa easily ).
3. Pour a ladle of batter on hot tawa and spread it like thick dosa ( uthappam should be thick )
4. Now sprinkle onion coriander leaf mixture all over the dosa and gently press it. Sprinkle a tsp of idly podi as well. Close it with a lid. If your stove is on low flame, top side of the uthappam will get cooked like idly. There won’t be any uncooked batter. At the same time the base of the uthappam won’t get burnt. Well cooked top layer will get crispy outer layer easily while flipping it over. So slow your stove at the beginning. By this method you can get very crispy outer layered uthappam.
5. After a minute open the lid , pour a tsp of at the corner and flip it over. Let it cook for a minute.
6. Once it is done, remove the uthappam and serve hot with chutney or sambar.
Note – Don’t press the uthappam with dosa ladle when it is cooking, It will end with hard uthappam
Written by: Kannathal chinniah