Pongal kulambu in Tamil – How to make pongal kuzhambu recipe
( Seivathu eppadi endra Tamil video ingu inaikkapattullathu
Pongal kuzhambu, which is a yummy side dish for ven pongal. Usually we prepare this kulambu in large quandity as it goes well with rice and also with idly, dosa . This is the special recipe in my home not only in pongal day but throughout the January and February months as they are the season for Mochai ( field beans ). Mochai gives a unique flavour to this Pongal kulambu. So don’t skip mochai to get awesome kulamb
Broad bean ( avarakai) – 1 cup
Field bean ( mochai ) – 1 cup
Pumpkin – 1 cup
Carrot, brinjal, sweet potato ( sakkaravalli kilangu ), potato – 1/4 cup each
( you can choose any veggies, but don’t skip sweet potato and field bean )
Toor dal ( thuvaram paruppu ) – 1/2 cup
Tomato – 2
Onion – 1 cup
Garlic – 3 no.
Tamarind – small amla size
Chilli pdr – 1 tbsp
Garam masal pdr ( optional ) – 1 tsp
Coriander pdr – 1 1/2 tsp
Fennel seed pdr – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seed pdr – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pdr – pinch
Asafoetida / perunkayam – pinch
Mustard seed – 1 tsp
Cumin seed – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
1. Field beans needs 3 pressure sounds for cooking whereas other vegetables can be cooked within a sound. So cook field beans for 2 pressure sounds and 3 rd sound with all other sauteed vegetables later.
2. Heat 3 tbsp of oil, add seasoning ingredients, when it starts to splutter, add curry leaves, onion, garlic, tomatoes. Stir it for 2 minutes. Add asafoetida.
3. Now add all vegetables with sauteed ingredients, again saute them for 2 minutes.
4. Mix these vegetables with partially cooked field beans, add all spices, COOKED TOOR DAL, tamarind water, salt and required water and let it cook for a pressure sound .
5. Once the temperature of the pressure cooker subsides, open it , garnish with cilantro. Pongal kulambu is ready to enjoy.
Written by: Kannathal chinniah