Rava dosa recipe – Suji rawa dosa
This rava dosa recipe is an easy and quick south indian breakfast. This rawa dosa can be served with any chutney or sambhar as our usual dosas. The main ingredient of this dosa is semolina rava / suji rawa. Tamil video of this rava dosa is embedded below.
Ingredients for making batter
suji / semolina / rice rava – 3/4 cup
dosa batter – 1 cup
maida/ all purpose flour – 2 tbsp
curd – 2 tbsp
Ingredients for sauting
chopped ginger – 1 tsp
chopped green chili – 1 tsp
cumin seed – 1 tsp
pepper pdr – 1/2 tsp
asafoetida/hing – pinch
chopped onion – 1/4 cup
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a kadai & saute all the ingredients under ‘ Ingredients for sauting ‘ . Set this aside for cooling.
2.Take a large bowl & and add dosa batter, rava, all purpose flour, curd, coriander leaves, salt, and sauted ingredients. Mix it well. The batter should be watery like butter milk.SEE VIDEO
3. Set this aside for 30 minutes.Within this time sooji rava absorbs some water. After 30 minutes check the consistency of the batter and make it again into the butter milk consistency by adding water.
4. Heat the tawa & wipe it with a oily cloth. It is very important to heat the tawa properly. If the temperature of tawa is very low resulting rava dosa will be very thick, ( It should be like angry tawa )
5. Take a ladle of batter ( mix it well as rawa sets at the bottom. ) & pour it over the outer corner of the tawa. ( YOU CAN’T SPREAD IT AS DOSA BATTER ). Then inner side of the tawa. Now turn the flame slow for a minute, and then again on high mode.
6. Small gaps will form hear and there once you pour the batter on tawa and don’t fill it with batter. So that you can get crispy dosa. Gaps are no matter when you flip it over, as all purpose flour binds rawa firmly. You can easily flip the rava dosa.
7. Rawa dosa will take longer time to get cooked than normal dosa, so not be in hurry for flipping.add a tsp of oil over it.
8. Once the bottom turn brown flip it over.Let the other side also get cooked.
9. Once cooked , remove from the flame & serve rava dosa with chutney.
Note – Don’t add more all purpose flour as it hardens dosa.