Masala pori in Tamil – Kara pori recipe – Spicy puffed rice
( Tamil video of this masala pori is embedded below )
Puffed rice – 200 g
peanuts – 50 g
Roasted gram dal / pottukadalai – 50 g
chili pdr – 1/2 tsp
Hing / asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pdr – 1/4 tsp
Garlic cloves – 2
Curry leaves – 15 to 20
Mustard seed – 1 tsp
Coconut oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
1. Cut curry leaves to very small pieces and crush garlic cloves – set aside.
2. Fry peanuts on low flame with a tsp of coconut oil ( turn off the flame when it begins to splutter ), fry roasted gram also and set aside both peanuts and roasted gram dal.
3. In a kadai heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil – add mustard seeds, once it starts to splutter add curry leaves and garlic cloves. Saute them well till garlic turns to dark brown.
4. Now add chili pdr, hing, turmeric powder and give a stir for a second.
5. As soon as you add these spice powders add puffed rice immediately – stir it for 3 to 5 minutes
6. Add very little salt as puffed rice already salted little bit, then add peanuts and roasted gram dal.
7. Spicy kara pori is ready to serve now.
Written by: Kannathal chinniah