Varagu thayir sadham in Tamil / kodo millet curd rice
( Seivathu eppadi endra Tamil video ingu inaikkapattullathu )
Kodo millet / Varagu arisi – 1 cup
Water – 3 1/2 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Green chilli – 1
Cumin seed – 1 tsp
Mustard seed – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
1. Soak rice with its measured water for 3 to 4 hours in advance ( 1 cup of rice needs 3 1/2 cups of water for pressure cooking. For lemon varagu rice, and any varagu variety rice just 3 cups of water is enough for cooking. My recipe is curd rice, so i have added extra 1/2 cup water. )
2. Pressure cook this soaked rice for 10 minutes. After cooking, cool it down for room temperature.
3. In a mixer grinder add 2 tbsp of curd, 2 curry leaves and a green chili, grind this mixture and pour this ground curd to the cooked varagu rice. Add extra curd you need for rice, salt and mix it well without any lumps.
4. In a kadai heat 2 tsp of oil, crackle mustard seed, urad dal and pour this seasonings into the prepared varagu curd rice.
5. Kodo millet curd rice is ready to serve.
Written by: Kannathal chinniah