Vendakkai moru kuzhambu in Tamil / okra buttermilk curry recipe
( Tamil video of this recipe is embedded below )
Ladies finger / okra – 1/4 cup
Shallots – 5
Curd – 1/4 cup
To roast and grind
Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Red gram / toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 3/4 to 1 tsp
Raw rice – 3/4 to 1 tsp
Cumin seed – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 4 to 5 pieces
Ginger – small piece
Green chilli – 2 ( or to taste )
Turmeric pdr – pinch
Asafoetida / hing/ perungayam – pinch
Mustard seed – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
1. Dry roast all the ingredients under ‘ To roast and grind ‘ till you get little colour change and awesome flavor. While dry roasting add coconut, green chili, asafoetida, and turmeric at the final stage. Grind these ingredients to fine paste. Set aside.
2. Heat a tsp of oil and saute okra till the stickiness is gone. – Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp of oil and add seasoning ingredients, Once it splutters saute onions till it becomes tender. Now add sauteed okra with onions and add a cup of water to cook. Let it cook on high flame.
4. Now add ground masala paste with this boiling okra and onions. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add salt.
5. Let it cool for some time. Then add curd.( no need to wait to reach room temperature ). Now enjoy your lunch with vendakkai morkulambu.
Written by: Kannathal chinniah